Monday, April 2, 2007

To Leave Your Toothbrush?

Upon awaking at your first time lovers house, realizing you're already late for work. Baby, hello, please wake up. I'm late for work and desperately need to brush my teeth before I go... do you have a spare? "Sure, under the sink." my new cutie mumbles as he rolls over. A hushed giggle comes over me as I hurry into the bathroom to freshen up, as best as I can.

Quickly, I rush through the motions of washing off and brushing away. Then, all of a sudden the next question pops into my head, SHIT, do I leave behind or carry away? This is one of the most important decisions one has to make in the beginning of a relationship. And since the majority of my relationships don't go much further than this, I must make sure that I choose appropriately.

The dilemma is this: if I leave the toothbrush behind, I am sending the message that I am in fact planning on returning for another romp. Or wait, does that means that I don't need the toothbrush anymore because I already have one at home. Does taking the toothbrush tell my new lover that I'm not interested in another sleep over. SHIT. I just don't know what to do.

After minutes of deliberating and before I realize that I'll be getting an earful from the boss man the second I arrive, not the mention the fact that I'm going to be wearing the same clothes that I wore for my date last night.

In a moment of pure desperation, I opt for trashing it.

Throughout my hung over, day, I stress about what message I had sent to my gorgeous new beau. I really want to see him again, perhaps I should have just left the toothbrush and if he didn't want to see me again because it scared him away... that would be that. NEXT.

Crap, why isn't it that easy when you're in the heat of the decision making moment?

THEN, OMG, he's calling.

Do I answer? I'm busy at work (or actually still debating whether or not throwing the toothbrush away was the right thing to do). Or do I just click "ignore"? Oh wait, I know what people hit "ignore" because it goes straight to voicemail. No ignore. Stop ringing. I am tired of thinking about it.

I can't listen. AHH. My hands are sweating. I'm a bit out of breath. And I feel like the walls are closing in on me. FUCK. OMG. What am I going to do? Breathe, calm down, relax. The only thing you can do is either go on with your work as if you didn't know that he had called, OR check the message.

I go on with work. Continuing to silently obsess about my date, my night with my date, and my morning of hell, bogged down with choices to make.

No comments: